The Catholic Church in South West Queensland FIND A MASS OR PARISH Now

Toowoomba Church History

The first church was built in Charleville and called St Joseph’s. In 1915 the first Presbytery was destroyed by fire and a new Church, the first to be named St Mary of the Assumption, and Presbytery were built. Within a short time after extensions had been added to both buildings in 1959 disaster struck again and fire destroyed both buildings. The second St Mary’s of the Assumption Church and Presbytery which were opened and blessed in 1961.