Our Lady Help of Christians Parish, Chinchilla
Contact: Fr Jim Cronin, PP
|Phone:||07 4662 7031|
|Fax:||07 4662 8430|
|Office Location:||8 Villiers Street||Postal Address:||8 Villiers Street|
|Easter Mass Times|
Chinchilla Parish History:
1923 - St Joseph's School opened and staffed by Sisters of St Joseph
In 1856 Father Michael McGinty began a mission on horseback from Ipswich, visiting every three months Catholic communities west of Dalby. From the 1870s venues for Mass in Chinchilla were Conroy's Hotel, the Court House, and from 1899 the first Church (in Bell Street). This building was later hauled by a bullock team to a site in Colamba Street.
Our Lady Help of Christians' Parish, excised from Dalby in 1919, included Miles, Wandoan, Tara and surrounding districts. 1n 1925 the church building was blown down by a mini twister. By 1926 it was replaced by a wooden building, which in 1962 became our Parish Hall. The present brick Church was completed in 1962. Renovation of the Sanctuary was undertaken in 2003.
To provide Catholic education for our children, St Joseph's School was opened in 1923 and staffed by Sisters of St Joseph until 1991, when the keys were handed to a Lay Principal. The school continues to flourish, with the addition of a Pre School in 1990 and refurbishments to the buildings, the latest in 2003. The Sisters of St Joseph were accommodated in a house next to the school. In 1979 a new brick Convent was bulk. Two Sisters of St Joseph are regular visitors to the school and are Pastoral Carers in the Parish.
We are indebted to all who have contributed to the ongoing education and formation of our whole Parish, from pioneering times until the present: